Onboarding continues past a new employee’s first week. While the following items should be considered throughout an employee’s tenure, research indicates they are critical in the first six months.
- Facilitate initial and on-going training. Provide formal and on-the-job training that establishes a foundation of success for the employee. Training opportunities to consider include, but are not limited to:
- • Provide opportunities for mutual reflection. In addition to informal conversations, dedicate time near the employee’s 3-month and 6-month anniversaries to engage in mutual reflection. Topics to discuss include, but are not limited to:
- Work performance standards, including demonstrated areas of proficiency and areas of improvement
- Mutual expectations established in the first week
- New or outstanding questions
- Goals for the next 3-6 months