Employees tend to feel anxious in their first week due to the uncertainty inherent in starting something new. UGA Student Affairs Onboarding Checklist (link to PDF) items for day one are intended to begin easing concerns through initial points of clarification and opportunities for connection.
- Deliver UGA Student Affairs Welcome Packet along with a welcome note from the supervisor. Consider also delivering welcome notes from teammates or colleagues, as well as other department leaders (e.g., department director/executive director, department management team members).
- Facilitate a tour of the work place. Orient the new employee by helping them locate restrooms, break rooms, mailboxes, supplies, colleagues’ workspaces, etc. Incorporate emergency action planning by pointing out AEDs, emergency exits, and evacuation and shelter locations. Consider having a colleague or teammate lead the tour as a way to begin establishing connections.
- Review building emergency action plans to supplement the tour.
- Provide the following:
- Discuss particulars, including, but not limited to:
- Work hours/punctuality including reference to
- Initial projects/assignments
- Debrief the day and prepare for day two. Encourage the new employee to:
- Reflect on went well on the first day
- Ask questions that arose throughout the day
- Begin considering responses to the following questions, which will be discussed on day two:
- What expectations do you have of me as your supervisor?
- What expectations are appropriate/realistic for me to have of you and your work?
- Continue writing down questions as they arise
This is a downloadable and printable pdf of the onboarding checklist, so that supervisors can track their new staff member's progress.