Employees tend to feel anxious in their first week due to the uncertainty inherent in starting something new. UGA Student Affairs Onboarding Checklist Items for day five focus on building connections.
- Help the new employee connect their role to the missions of the department and the division.
- Review the position responsibilities alongside the department and division mission statements.
- Ask the new employee how they feel like they can make an impact on the department or division based on their role and skillset.
- Address specific reasons why the new employee was hired into their role. Refer to skills, experiences, or things they mentioned in their interview that made them stand out.
- Establish a list of people for the new employee to meet. In addition to listing people that the individual will work with on a regular basis (including direct teammates and colleagues across the division and institution), consider including the following for each person:
- A brief description of the working relationship
- Contact information
- Timeline of when an initial meeting/conversation should occur
- Debrief the week. Engage the new employee in a conversation that includes, but is not limited to:
- What went well
- New questions
- Lingering uncertainties
This is a downloadable and printable pdf of the onboarding checklist, so that supervisors can track their new staff member's progress.